The Land Down Under Served Chilled at Mode Kitchen & Bar
There’s nothing like a contemporary take on a classic, and Mode Kitchen & Bar does it better than anyone. An undeniable favourite this September is The Land Down Under cocktail. Fusing timeless flavours with local flair, it’s the ideal aperitif for their native menu.
The Land Down Under brings together a smooth backbone of Archie Rose vodka with the gentle heat of native pepperberry syrup. And fortunately for us, Mode has been generous enough to share their recipe so you can enjoy this uniquely Australian experience at home.
- 60ml Archie Rose vodka
- 10ml spiced syrup
- 15ml pepperberry syrup
- 30ml freshly squeezed lime juice
- Bottle of ginger beer of choice
- Dehydrated lemon or orange (optional, for garnish)
- 40g ground pepperberry
- 1kg water
- 1kg sugar
- 500g sugar
- 600g water
- 2 pieces star anise
- 3 bay leaves
- 6 cloves
- ½ Tsp ground cardamom
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Place all ingredients in a large pan and bring to the boil
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes
- Remove pan from heat and transfer liquid to another container
- Place in refrigerator until the liquid is completely chilled
- Fill a copper mug with large ice cubes to begin.
- Build all ingredients including pre-prepared syrups into the mug, finishing with ginger beer
- Stir generously using a bar spoon
- Garnish with dehydrated lemon or orange
Try it for yourself at Mode Kitchen & Bar, located at 199 George Street The Rocks. While you are there be sure to treat your tastebuds to their native menu.
This September The Rocks pays tribute to native-themed dishes and drinks. Find out more here.